History of Vivekananda Math, Barrackpore
The Vivekananda Math was established on Saturday, the 23rd April 1977(10th Baisak 1384)on the birthday of Sri Sri Sankaracharya at premises no 7 , Riverside Road, Barrackpore Dist – 24 Parganas (Now North 24 pgs) West Bengal by Swami Nityananda who was a monk of the Ramkrishna Mission and Ramkrishna Math , Belur for a long time and left that organization on 16th October 1976. Subsequently he organized a separate independent institution under the name “Ramakrishna Vivekananda Mission” which was registered with the Rregistrar of societies of West Bengal bearing No S/18606 dated 1st November 1976 . Some other Monks also joined the Vivekananda Math from Ramakrishna Mission and other places. In oder to give it a systematic form with a view to regulate the Math according to laws of the land , the Vivekananda Math was registered with Additional District Sub Registrar Barrackpore , on 28th June 1980 bearing No 160 of 1980 by the settler Swami Nityananda.
Main objects of Vivekananda Math
1. To preach & practice the universal teaching of Sri Ramakrishna – Holy Mother and Swami Vivekananda.
2. To organize , Establish and run institutions like orphanage school, college, Dispensary, hospitals, technical schools , temples shrines and other welfare activities for development of the society in general and for poor in particular irrespective of caste , creed and religion.
3. To provide opportunities to individual to live a monastic life according to the guidelines given by Thakur – Ma – Swamiji under Dasanami Sampradaya set up by Acharya Sankara.
Methods to achieve the objects:-
1. To organize various cultural programe , festivals birthday according to tithi of Thakur- Ma-Swamiji for disseminating the universal knowledge and national integrity irrespective of cast , creed , & religion in people.
2. To set up public place of worship for upliftment of character of each individual.
3. To take active part for improvement of downtrodden people and also take part in Relief activities.